NO PLACE LIKE HOME......

Hi . My name is Stephanie and I am new to being an author on a blog. I have been an avid follower of many decorating blogs and have become, well addicted. I have found inspiration from many of these sites and thought I would give this a try.

I am a Mom of two wonderful young men. I am married to an amazing man who is in law enforcement. Which is why I named my blog No Place Like Home. After a long, intense day we all like to come HOME where we can feel safe and release the pressures of the day.

Welcome and buckle up for the ride :)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Independence Day - July 2, 1776

No I did not make a typo and No you did not read the title wrong.  July 2, 1776.  That is the day the Declaration of Independence was signed.  It was formerly announced on July 4, 1776.

What does this day mean to you?
It is more than a holiday to have fun in the sun, eat the "American" comfort foods of Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and your favorite soda.  Don't get me wrong....those are all good.  I have not really thought in any depth what this day really means to me.  I am humbled and grateful for the men and women who have made many sacra fices while defending this wonderful country.  Many have made the ultimate sacrifice of death.  I can not thank them or their families enough for their service to this country.  I am forever grateful for my freedom that they have fought for.  I am proud to say I am the grand daughter of a Navy man who served in the WWII.  I am proud to be the daughter in law of a Air Force man who served in the Korean Conflict.  I am proud to be the niece of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be the friend of  several young men and women who are serving this country as I type.
Ok, a small portion of the Declaration states.... "We hold these truths to be self-evident - that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights - that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..." Think about it.  All men are created equal....so we fight for the equality of all men, not just US citizens. That they are endowed by their creator.  Their creator could be God, Buddha..... with certain unalienable rights....Rights that should not be taken away by anyone or any country! Rights that include life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  So I need to remember when I get up on my soap box and state we should not be fighting in other countries.....Our forefathers founded this country based on ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL.  Wow, what a wake up call. We are still a strong and proud country.  I think we just need to be reminded of how great every once in a while.
July 4, 2011.
What does this mean to YOU?
Now on a lighter note....I will be celebrating in an American way....camping, eating hotdogs and drinking soda.  I too will watch the fantastic sights of fireworks and I will silently thank my family, friends and all people who serve this country so that you and I can post things like this for anyone to read.
God Bless the USA!!!
Happy 4th of July to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment